Without a doubt, your knife block is an essential equipment to keep your kitchen safe and organized but overtime, they can harbor molds and could be a breeding ground of bacteria in those dark and hard to reach slots. Here’s a simple way to keep it clean.
- Remove all the knives and turn your knife block upside down and shake it to remove all debris.
- Get a scrubby sponge, soap and lukewarm water then gently scrub the outside of the block – avoid using too much water as moisture will just produce more molds.
- Find a pipe cleaner to clean the slots
- Wipe the knife block with a clean dry cloth
- Find a scraper and remove excess moisture and soapy residue
- Let the knife block air dry completely (aroud 12 hours or more) before re-inserting your knives
If you think that the above steps are way too much work, you can simply buy a slotless knife block with removable bristles for thorough cleaning.